Monday, January 27, 2014

On This Day…

✶ Robert Murray McCheyne, born in 1813, was a Scottish minister and disciple of the godly Andrew Bonar. He was a sickly man and died very young, but the spiritual quality of his life and ministry live to this day. On January 27, 1842, he sat down with pen and paper to reply to a young boy named Johnnie who was anxious about his soul. McCheyne began: “I was very glad to receive your kind note, and am glad to send you a short line in return, although my time is much taken up. You are very dear to me, because your soul is precious; and if you are ever brought to Jesus, washed and justified, you will praise Him more sweetly than an angel of light. I was riding in the snow today where no foot had trodden, and it was pure, pure white; and I thought again and again of that verse: ‘Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.’ ”

✶ January 27, 1908, Charles M. Alexander, evangelistic gospel song leader and associate of D. L. Moody and R. A. Torrey, made up his mind to join Wilber Chapman in evangelistic campaigns around the world. The two worked together until Alexander’s death in 1920 and are considered one of the most effective evangelistic partnerships of the twentieth century.

Robert J. Morgan, Nelson’s Annual Preacher’s Sourcebook, 2002 Edition (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2001), 24.

No comments: