Monday, December 2, 2013

What The Christ-Life Looks Like

Spurgeon Commentary: GalatiansThe child of God has within him the Christ-life. Christ’s life on earth was the divine mingled with the human—such is the life of the Christian. There is something divine about it; it is a living, incorruptible seed, which abides forever. We are made partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust, yet our life is thoroughly human life. The Christian is a man among men; in all that is manly he labors to excel. Yet he is not as other men are, but wears a hidden nature that no mere worldly person understands. Picture the life of Christ on earth, and that is what the life of God in us ought to be and will be in proportion as we are subject to the power of the Holy Spirit.
The life that comes out of the blended personality of the believer and Christ is a life of perfect love. “He gave Himself for me.” My question is, therefore, “What can I do for Him?” The new life is a life of holy security; for if Christ loved me, who can destroy me? It is a life of holy wealth; for if Christ gave His infinite self to me, what can I lack? It is a life of holy joy; for if Christ is mine, I have a well of holy joy within my soul. It is the life of heaven; for if I have Christ, I have that which is the essence and soul of heaven.


Charles Spurgeon, Spurgeon Commentary: Galatians, ed. Elliot Ritzema, Spurgeon Commentary Series (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2013).

No comments: