Monday, May 13, 2013

Offertory Story:

 

In writing of her years in China, missionary Bertha Smith told of a time when Dr. Wiley Glass, missionary educator, was kneeling during a prayer meeting service at a large church in China. Mr. Wang, the church treasurer, was kneeling nearby. Suddenly the Chinese, overcome with emotion, cried out, “Lord, have mercy on me! I’ve stolen! I’m a thief! I have stolen from God!”
In astonishment, Dr. Glass said, “Not you, Brother Wang; surely not you! All these years you have been such a trustworthy, devoted deacon, faithful trustee of the seminary, and upright Christian gentleman. You just could not have taken money from the church treasury!”
Brother Wang regained control of himself enough to say, “I have not paid my tithe to the Lord! According to His Word, I have stolen it from Him!” The Chinese keep accurate household and personal accounts. Wang counted up his tithe from the time he became a Christian, more than twenty years before, subtracted from it the total contributed to the church, and sold some land to pay the balance. What a flame he afterward became for the Lord.


Robert J. Morgan, Nelson’s Annual Preacher’s Sourcebook, 2002 Edition (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2001), 127.

No comments: