Monday, June 25, 2012

The LORD Thy God Is With Thee

Deuteronomy 20:1

When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies,

and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou,

be not afraid of them: for the LORD thy God is with thee,

which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt

The last two weeks we have been rejoicing in the goodness of the Lord. Like Joshua, who needed the sun to stand still to finish the task God had given him, we feel like, there is not enough time in the day to do everything that needs done. Although time may seem to be against us God is for us. In the last two weeks we have seen God working on our behalf and there is nothing to say but, “God did that.”

Financially

God has provided the needs of our church step by step and we are excited about the new promissory note on our mortgage. A local lawyer has helped us draw up the new promissory note and the seller signed and returned the note last week. There is still a lot of money that owe, but we have a little breathing room and by faith we expect God to move again on our behalf.

Practically

The fire that not long ago was encroaching upon our town is now completely out. However, the danger of fire is still very real. Yesterday as we drove to the airport in Casper, WY we could see the destruction from another fire just north of Douglas, WY and we also saw another fire raging on the south side of the interstate as we came into Casper, WY. With the extremely dry weather, it does not take much for a fire to start. We noticed as we surveyed the damage of the recent fires that the ground and trees may be scorched but the sagebrush does not burn and it is as if the fire leaves it untouched. I thought that this was quite an illustration of the Lord’s working in my life. I do not want God’s moving to work all around me touching lives and miss me because I am not sensitive to Him.

 

Pass me not, O gentle Savior, Hear my humble cry;

While on others Thou art calling, Do not pass me by.

Savior, Savior, Hear my humble cry;

While on others Thou art calling, Do not pass me by.

Physically

Many have asked us how Elizabeth is doing after her month in the hospital. At this point she is back to her normal self and shows no signs of being in the hospital for a month. Becca is still trying to set up a follow up appointment for her in Denver. She should have had the appointment several weeks ago, nevertheless Becca has been unable to get someone to schedule the appointment. She has called the hospital repeatedly and has been unable to talk to the scheduling desk.

 

Spiritually

It was my desire to do some personal discipleship with Lee who is the father of the new family that has joined our church. We arranged to meet on Tuesday in Torrington after he was off work. When I arrived at his house his wife said he had already went to the coffee shop and had a friend from work with him. In a small way, I was disappointed that I was not going to have that personal one on one time, but on the other hand how could I complain about having more men along. At the coffee shop, we looked at the role of a disciple and then I asked them what the most important role in their life. After they offered several thoughts, I shared with them that the most important role in their life is to be a man of God. You could see the truth sink in as I explained that as men when we focus on our relationship with God and strive to be men of God everything else falls into place. Both were excited about next week’s lesson and had plans to invite more to join our group. As I drove home and talked things over with my wife, I could do nothing but praise the Lord for His goodness. Who knows how many men we will have next week? Please pray that the Lord would do a life changing work through our men’s Bible study.

No comments: