Monday, May 21, 2012

Back In The Saddle Again

First Sunday Back

Yesterday was my first Sunday back in Guernsey, WY in over a month. I really missed being there with our church family and their feelings were the same. We are all looking forward to Becca and the kids returning but until then I’ll be flying solo and because Becca has our camera I don’t think I’ll be posting any picture as usual. There seems to be a lot to catch up to do so please pray for strength and wisdom. There is so much to do but I want to make sure I follow the Lord’s specific leading as to what to do each day.

Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork

After spending about an hour opening mail I realized there were many little things that needed to be attended to. We are rejoicing that the money came in for our balloon payment on the building but the agreement that the seller had discussed is still a little up in the air. (background agreement) At this point all I have is a Email stating what he is willing to do and some legal documentation needs to be drawn up to make it official. Please pray for wisdom as we work through this process.

Earthly or Eternal

Yesterday I preached from Mark 8:34-37 where Christ said,

Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

During my preparation the Lord had clearly showed me that he wanted me to preach on this passage and emphasize values. It is so easy for us to place value on all sorts of things when what we should value is knowing God’s will and doing it. Here are two quotes that I found as I was preparing that were especially helpful to me personally.

(Warren W. Wiersbe) This once-for-all dedication is followed by a daily “dying to self” as we take up the cross and follow Him. From the human point of view, we are losing ourselves, but from the divine perspective, we are finding ourselves. When we live for Christ, we become more like Him… (Warren W. Wiersbe, The Bible Exposition Commentary (Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books, 1996), Mk 8:27.)

(Jim Elliot) “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.”

This Quote from Jim Elliot is one that I have heard many times before but God has drove it home in a fresh and new way. You may remember that He and his friends died trying to share the Gospel in Ecuador.

No comments: