Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Soft and Sweet Homemade Ice cream

This last week I bought two ice cream makers at the auction barn. One is an old wooden hand crank and the other is a tall 5quart with a motor. Since we had some company over on Friday I decided to try them out and make some Ice cream. I started using this recipe in college when my roommates and I wanted to make some ice cream. I called my Aunt JoAnn and here recipe has proven to be a winner. Everyone seems to love this ice cream an I thought I would share the recipe.  Unlike most homemade ice cream recipes, this recipe will stay soft in your freezer for months on end.

Ingredients

  • 4+ Cups Milk
  • 3 Cups Sugar
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1/3 Cup Flour
  • 3 Tablespoons Vanilla
  • 1 Pt. Half And Half
  • 1qt Heavy Whipping Cream

Directions


  1. Scald 4 cups whole milk (Basically, warm the milk until it starts to foam or bubble. Don’t let it boil!!!)
  2. Mix and then add to milk
    1. 1 ½ Cups Sugar
    2. 1 Teaspoon Salt
    3. 1/3 Cup Flour
    4. 3 Eggs
  3. Stir until custard like (thick and creamy)
  4. Add another 1 ½ cup of sugar and stir until gone
  5. Turn off the heat
  6. Add
    1. 3 table spoons of vanilla
    2. 1 pint of Half & Half
    3. 1 quart of whipping cream
  7. Put in ice cream maker and use whole milk to fill the container to the full line

Optional

Ingredients

    • Crushed Candy
    • Fruit (mash up as small as possible or add just before serving)Chocolate/Strawberry/Carmel Syrup
    • Chopped Nuts
    • Flavored Coffee Creamer (Use this in the place of the Half and Half)

Low Sugar

Only use 2 cups of sugar. Using less sugar will make it harder for the leftover ice cream to stay soft in the freezer.

No comments: