Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Am I more concerned about knowing God's plan for my life or having His presence in my life?

I read this short clip today and the question came to my mind...



Am I more concerned about knowing God's plan for my life or having His presence in my life?




What Feeds the Soul

I’m fond of reading the saints of old. (The original saints were, of course, Southern Baptists.) In their writings and meditations, I see nothing of planning to be successful or significant. They were not motivated by human ambition. The glory of God was their joy.
They were concerned not with God’s plan for their life but his presence in their life. They seemed to feel that if they had a guide they didn’t need a map. Both Brother Lawrence and Frank Laubach have written inspiringly on the presence of God.
Occasionally I speak to a Christian leader who seems hard and metallic. The more ambitious they are, the more metallic. Some with whom I have shared intimate moments seem dry on the inside. The soul can’t be fed with ambition, accomplishment, and acquisition. The soul is fed by the Spirit and the words that proceed from God.


Fred Smith Sr., Leading With Integrity, vol. 5, The Pastor’s Soul (Pub Place: Bethany House Books, 1998), 82–83.

No comments: